Tuesday, July 12, 2011

3-2-1 BLAST OFF!

What an absolutely awesome weekend we had! Cole, the girls, myself, and Libby (the bulldog) joined my Mom, Dad, and Patton (their bulldog) on a weekend RV trip to the great state of Florida for the very last shuttle launch.

My parents always tried to take us to historical places as kids. I guess Cole and I are alot like them. We are so grateful that they opened their traveling home to our crazy crew.



The girls did GREAT. They sat in their carseats for 8+ hours there and back. And they did NOT have a tv. We did cheat a little and let them play with the iPhones. But they pretty much entertained themselves with coloring and reading stories. I love their little imaginations. And we even got to read a chapter book. I guess that is what happens when they are strapped in their car seats and don't really have a choice. I think they, actually, did like chapter book. :)

We got there late on Thursday night and the girls were so disapointed that we were not going to see the "rocket ship" that night. However, they were up bright and early ready to watch it on Friday. We did not get as close as we would have liked. But we were there. Some people had been there for days camping to make sure they got to see it. We were not that die hard.

What an awesome experience. It is hard to even describe it. The shuttle is HUGE! But when I watched it ascend into space I understood exactly how small we are. We were miles away from the shuttle but the nervous energy was all around. Most of the people I talked to had a hard time putting the experience into words. The crowd did a countdown and everyone cheered. The cheering was coming from miles around. It was absolutely awesome. Even made me a little teary.


Do you know how hard it is to take pictures
with a 2 year old on your hip screaming in your ear?
I do!


Some of the people I met came as far as Iowa (27 hours in the car with 2 kids...brave lady!).

The cool thing about the experience was there was all type of people! Families, motorcycle gangs, rich, poor...it was a huge mix.

It was also awesome to know that we experienced history! My babies (even though they will never remember it) can say that they were there.

Once they saw the "rocket ship" the girls were ready to come home.


Why? Because their school books were scheduled to arrive while we were away.

Ansley screamed and jumped up and down when I got the arrival notice from Fedex.

Once we got back home, Ansley ran into the house begging to open the box.

We got unpacked.

And Daddy-o did the honors.

 They were really excited. Just look at their faces!

 Daddy-o pulled out the Bible curriculum and began reviewing it.


 Ansley was glad it came with some "toys for Charlotte".


And guess what was printed on the inside of the box!

A shuttle to put together!

Daddy-o saved the day with his mad construction skills.

What an awesome way to end our weekend!


2 comments:

  1. We saw a launch years ago and I will never forget the awsomeness. You will alway be glad that you went!

    ReplyDelete