Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Pancake breakfast muffins

Well, I know it has been a long time since I have updated my blog. We have been working with no Internet for a couple of weeks. I have been using Cole's iPhone to keep in touch with the world via Facebook. Although, it was nice being without for quite a while! I am glad to be able to post again. Well, what have we been up to? (I know you all are dying to know) :)

I have been super busy in the kitchen lately. We have been trying new recipes and every day we get closer to our NO PROCESSED food goal. Breakfast is really hard for me to do without having processed food. You know, I was a child of the 80's and 90's. When the question about what was for breakfast came up, it really meant "What kinda cereal do we have?" Maybe that is why I am not a breakfast person. I mean really, have you looked at Cookie Crunch? I loved them as a kid and now...YUCK! They don't even look like cookies. They look more like dehydrated cow patties.

We have been doing a lot of yogurt and homemade granola for breakfast, but the girls and I tire of the same thing over and over. So I had to come up with something new. And so the recipe search began. During one of my searches I was reading a blog and the writer jokingly talked about putting sausage in a muffin. At first I was mortified. Sausage in the muffin? That is gross! But, then I though why not sausage in the pancake muffin. And if you can put sausage in it, why not eggs too? And so, I made them.

Conclusion? LOVE IT! We loved them so much there are no pictures to post!

These little things are the perfect grab and go kinda breakfast. We put our leftovers in the freezer and heat them up when we need a fast breakfast. All you need to add is a little maple syrup and YUMO!

So how do you make these perfect little things? Well, I am so glad you asked! It is so easy!

*Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
*Oil a muffin pan. (normal or mini. We used the normal, but next time I am using the mini ones)
*Simply make a batch of your favorite pancake batter according to the package instructions. We use gluten free at our house. You should probably start with about 1 and 1/2 to 2 cups of dry mix and then add your other ingredients.
*Cook your patty sausage as directed on the package. Or do like I did and buy the Jimmy Dean turkey sausage you just heat in the microwave. I used six pieces of the turkey sausage.
*After it is cooked and cooled, cut it into small pieces (about the size of the end of a pencil).
*Scramble 2 large eggs. Making sure to break them into small pieces also. (You don't one muffin to get all the egg. )
*Add sausage and egg to the pancake mix and stir until the they are evenly distributed.
*Poor the batter into the muffin tins until they are about 2/3 full.
*Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes (7 minutes for a mini pan). A toothpick should come out clean when they are done.

Serve with pure maple syrup and enjoy!

If you want to freeze them, wait for them to cool and store in a Ziploc bag or container. Heat them in the microwave in 10 second intervals until they are perfect.

I also thought that maybe next time I would put a little syrup in the batter to cut out on the mess my girls can make.

And I know some of you are thinking, "She is kidding herself if she thinks this isn't processed!" My GF pancake mix has no preservatives and the sausage is all natural. So I am feeling good about it right now! :) Maybe I am lying to myself.

Please let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment