Monday, June 27, 2011

Ugly Cookies

A few weeks ago, I realized that I have some sort of allergy to one of the ingredients in the package mix of gluten free cookies. It is a crazy allergy. All I have to do is breath in this unknown ingredient and boy do I know it.

Since baby girl can't have gluten and I can't have (or prepare) packaged gluten free cookies. I have been on the search for the perfect gluten free cookie recipe.

Gluten has been a thorn in my side. It is a total downer sometimes. It makes cookies chewy and yummy and perfect.

Today I took on the mission of perfecting my sweet baby's favorite cookie.

I must confess! I just made the ugliest cookies EVER!


See! I told you they were ugly! Those don't even look like cookies.

They are not burnt, sliding off the cookie sheet, or hard as bricks. But boy are they ugly.

You know they are ugly when  your 3 year old refuses to eat a cookie! UGLY!

And to be honest, I didn't want to taste them either.

BUT, I am so glad I did. These cookies might be ugly, but wow! They taste great!

A few minor adjustments, like temperature and bake time. Oh, and with gluten free, you can't just drop a tablespoon of dough on a cookie sheet. You must form the cookie into something that looks like a cookie.
This is what they looked like before the oven. All pre-shaped and smashed.
And afterward?

I am so glad you asked!

PERFECTO!




Just to make sure I wasn't fooling myself, I tricked Prince Charming. He didn't even know they were gluten free! Now that is what I call success!

The Ugliest Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 1/4 tapioca flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar (I used sucanat)
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I used sucanat)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large egg
  • 1 (12 ounce) package Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels

Directions

  1. PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. COMBINE flours, xantham gum, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels.
  3. Shape a tablespoon of dough into a ball and gently flatten it into a disk shape (It should look like a cookie you would want to eat.) Drop shaped cookies onto a greased baking sheet.
  4. BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
.

And enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment