Tuesday, August 9, 2011

BBQ Sauce

I love BBQ sauce. Many people eat ranch on everything.
Not me.
I want the sweet, spicy, tanginess of that beautiful sauce. However, my love of this wonderful creation forced me to think outside the box since going gluten free.

Did you know that most BBQ sauces contain gluten?

Me either.

But there is a little ingredient who shall remain nameless (caramel coloring) that can contain gluten. So that means no sauce. :( Unless, I want to read everything on the back of the box. And lets face it, I have two small children. I am lucky to get everything on my list, much less read the ingredients.

Until TODAY!

But before we get to the yumminess, I have another confession. I am obsessed with blogs. I want to look up things to make and things to try at our house. After all, we have basic cable. So blogs are my HGTV and FoodNetwork.

Recently, I have been looking up homemade sauces. I have found a few that looked interesting. Honestly, I have been a chicken to try them. However, I found myself staring at the BBQ sauces again this morning. Reading every ingredient.

Did you know there are ALOT of BBQ sauces out there?

You may not realize how many until you have to read the ingredients on every package. That being said, most of the ingredients are the same. I finally decided to stop wasting time reading and just make my own. After all, how hard can it be?

So, I found a recipe this morning and tried it. It was OK. I was going to go with it, but the recipe I had for BBQ chicken called for a few more things.

After I added those things, beautiful things occurred!
It was wonderful!
It was gluten free!
It was cheap!
It was homemade!
Can we get better than those?

So here you go!

BBQ Sauce Granger Style
3/4 cup ketchup
2 T. minced onion
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 t. liquid smoke
1 T. molasses
1/4 c vinegar (I used 1/8 c balsamic and 1/8 c white)
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1/4 c brown sugar

Mix ingredients in a small sauce pan. Simmer for a few minutes until flavors are blended.

*I am not a fan of large chunks of onion in my sauce. So I put it in the blender so a few seconds. Perfect!*

THE END! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment