Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Soup, Soup, and more Soup!

I am so sorry this has taken me so long to post. I ended the weekend with a migraine. I am just getting my act together today. So without further ado...Soup!

Most casseroles call for a can of cream of something soup. You know, the gross stuff that seems to plop out of a can. The sound is so yucky.
Slurp, burp, SPLAT!

This past Saturday, I decided to tackle the creamed soups that we seem to go through like crazy in the winter.

These recipes are a guide. You can follow them word for word. But if you do not have an ingredient, no big deal. Substitute it or just leave it out. One thing I have learned about cooking is: a recipe is a guide. It is not something to agonize over. If you like more garlic, add it. If you hate it, do not put it in at all. Most of my cooking is NOT measured. I feel it out as I go. My wish is that you guys will have as much fun making these recipes for your family as I had making them for mine.

Cream of Mushroom was the first on my list. I was actually shocked by how easy it was.
 ........................................................................................................................................................................

Cream of Mushroom Soup
4 Tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic
8 oz chopped mushrooms
1 tsp salt
1 medium sweet onion
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cans chicken broth
(I did not have cans so I used about 3/4 a box)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream (or half and half or milk)
1 tsp fresh thyme (or 1/8 tsp dry thyme)

Clean the mushrooms and chop them roughly.

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Saute garlic until golden. Add mushrooms, onions, and salt. Cook until onions are soft.

Add flour and cook stirring constantly until smooth. Slowly add chicken broth. Simmer, stirring often until thick. Add nutmeg and pepper. Taste. You may want to add a little more salt.

At this time you can blend your soup to remove the larger pieces of vegetables.

Add cream and bring to a SIMMER.
DO NOT BOIL.

Allow to cool on the counter before you freeze or refrigerate. I bag my soup 2 cups per bag. It usually is just enough for a sausage and rice casserole (my hubby's childhood favorite).
........................................................................................................................................................................

Next up was Cream of Celery.

I really made this one because the Cream of Chicken soup calls for 2 stalks of celery. What was I supposed to do with the rest of the stuff. I mean I like celery, but we both know I am not about to snack on it. :)

Cream of Celery Soup
(I put all of the vegetables in the food processor
and chopped them as fine as I could before it became a paste.)

4 tablespoons butter
15 ounces celery, coarsely chopped (about one head)
4 carrots, chopped finely
2-1/2 ounces onions, chopped
2 Tbsp flour
3-3/4 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
3-3/4 cups warm cream
Pinch of nutmeg

Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add celery, onions, carrots, and salt. Allow to cook until the onions are soft. Add flour and stir in well. Add chicken stock and pepper. Allow to thicken.

At this time you can blend your soup to remove the larger pieces of vegetables.

Slowly pour in them cream. Add nutmeg. Bring to a simmer.
Do not BOIL.


Hubby and the girls actually returned from the weekly Lowes trip about the time this one was finished. He and girls walked in and said YUM!
It was really good. I think it was our favorite.
 ........................................................................................................................................................................

And finally Cream of Chicken.

I made this one last only because I totally forgot to defrost the chicken.

 Cream of Chicken Soup

1/2 cup butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery (with leaves), chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
2 tablespoon flour
1 box chicken broth
3 sprigs fresh thyme (1/4 tsp dried)
2 3/4 cups cooked, diced chicken
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add onion, celery, and carrots. Sprinkle with salt and allow to cook until the onions are soft. Add flour and stir until mixed well. Add chicken broth. Allow to boil until the carrots and celery are soft.

At this time you can blend your soup to remove the larger pieces of vegetables.

Add chicken.

Slowly add cream. Add pepper, salt, and thyme. Allow to simmer, but DO NOT BOIL.

*I blended my soup after I added the chicken. Why? Because I added the chicken to early. But, don't fret. It tasted wonderful. And who cares? It is going in another dish anyways.*




These really are not very hard to make at all. I made about 20 cups of soup in about three hours. It would not have taken that long if I would have defrosted and precooked my chicken.

My total cost was about $10. Which comes to about $1 per can of soup. I don't think I did bad at all.

I hope you enjoy these like we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment